I am totally new to the world of blogging, but I am excited to share all of my thoughts about the small and simple things that I enjoy in my life!
So I wanted to share some of my recent cooking adventures. Generally I love cooking, but I tend to learn things the hard way, I enjoy deviating from the recipe, and I am slightly afraid of ovens so my first time cooking things is generally a disaster. Last night I decided to broil one of the freshly butchered sirloin steaks my grandma gave me. Simple enough, right? Well not for me apparently. I sort of started freaking out when the grease started to sizzle really REALLY loudly and Allen started looking up all of this stuff about grease fires and so we had lots of baking soda handy and kept turning the oven on and off again when the sizzling got too loud. Needless to say that took a while and was hard on my nerves. On top of that I decided to start making mashed potatoes after that whole mess which apparently takes forever. So after all of the waiting and trying to keep the meat (which was burnt to the point of almost being black) warm and trying to make potatoes just right we sat down to eat it. My expectations were extremely low, but I cannot begin to describe the amazing flavor that came from that first bite of steak, despite its burnt state. It was delicious! So I learned all about grease fires and also that my grandma is the best for being willing to give me such amazing steak :)
My second cooking adventure happened today. I decided to make some chocolate chip muffins for the people I visit teach, the kind that comes in a package. Simple enough right? Well I filled the muffin trays too far and so a couple minutes into cooking I realized they were going to turn into one huge muffin if I did not intervene so I took them out of the oven and took half of the half cooked goo from each one and put it back into the bowl of batter. They may not look delicious after being cooked, but they still tasted good. What I learned from that is it really doesn't matter how badly you cook something with chocolate in it, it will probably still come out tasting delicious.
I have to agree with that last comment. Chocolate is AMAZING!!! And your muffins were wonderful.
ReplyDeleteI think cooking is so much harder than it looks. Stephen and I watch the Food Network shows together all the time and at the end of every show I feel completely capable of making whatever they demonstrate. Such lies! It is so much harder than I think. And completly agree that anything with chocolate in it will taste delicious.
ReplyDelete